I am stunned – Electronic Arts still has quality people in customer service!

**UPDATED February 2009 (see final comments at the bottom)

Recently I blogged regarding the purchase (as well as defects found) in FIFA 08. This game has quickly become one of my favorite games. It is not violent (maybe the players can be a little pushy) and allows for the whole family to play multi-player over our LAN, either on the same or different teams. Below is my support incident(s) recently logged with EA (it is best read from the bottom up). I am stunned that such a large company actually took the time to care about my problem and solved it. Even though the earlier replies were “sketchy” having worked in the software industry now for 15 years I can say that EA pulled through. They still have people who understand “customer service”.

I would definitely recommend FIFA 08 as a family game (we have six of us playing over out LAN). Each copy of FIFA 08 limits you to install it on 3 different computers, so take note of that (I can understand why they would do that). Overall the game is excellent, great graphics and the commentators and AI is quite well done. It is easy to get (just buy a digital download from here and you can start playing within a few hours.

You’ll may need to follow instructions from here to get the Unlock key activated before you start, and get the latest patches installed from here. Anyways, here is how my incident went (remember start at the bottom):

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Reference #: 081105-016727
Subject: I have two copies of Fifa 08 installed on 6 computers. I have two problems at…
Platform & Game: PC > FIFA > FIFA 08
Category: Technical > Install / Uninstall > Other
Date Created: 11/05/2008 03:44 PM
Last Updated: 11/13/2008 02:25 PM
I have two copies of Fifa 08 installed on 6 computers. I have two problems at…
Customer
11/13/2008 02:25 PM

Dear EA representative:

I am stunned that you actually care! I was not expecting a happy ending to this story, but I am glad that
you put yourself in my shoes.

My shipping address is:

Mark Vejvoda
12 Jensen Road
Enderby, BC V0E1V5

Thanks again, I actually didn’t mind waiting and respect the fact that I got a reasonable response.
I plan on passing along good reviews relating to my experience with EA due to the professional nature that
I now see.

Sincerely:
Mark Vejvoda
Response (Joseph D.)
11/13/2008 02:12 PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts. Your issue has been escalated. I can certainly understand your frustration on the matter. Please reply back to this email with your shipping information and I will be more than willing to send you a physical copy of FIFA 08 for your Windows 2000 machine. I will be looking for your reply.

Regards,

GM Joe
Player Relations
Electronic Arts
Response (Arun J.)
11/08/2008 02:11 PM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Due to the nature of your issue, more time is required for investigation. I apologize for any prolonged delays this might cause, but please rest assured that we are trying to handle your issue in a timely manner. During this time, you may still update your incident with additional information that might help us resolve your issue without causing any additional delay. To update your incident click the link above that says, “To view or update your question from our support site, http://support.ea.com .”

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you and look forward to getting you back in the game.

Please accept our apology for any troubles or errors you may experience from time to time and your help.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let me know.

Regards,

Abner
EA Online Support
Customer
11/08/2008 12:01 PM

Here are the system requirements from the ea website for Fifa 08:

OS – Windows 2000/XP/Vista*
Processor – 1.3 GHz or faster (Windows Vista requires a 1.5 GHz processor)
Memory – 256 MB RAM (Windows Visita requires 512 MB RAM)
Hard Drive – 3.92 GB
DVD Drive – 8 SPEED
Video Card – 64 MB**
Sound Card – DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX – Version 9.0c (included on disc)
LAN – TCP/IP Compliant; 2 Players
Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2 Players
Single System Multiplayer – 2-8 Players
Input – Keyboard, Mouse or dual analogue gamepad

*Windows Vista requires a 1.5 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. **Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce3 or greater (GeForce4 MX series not supported); ATI Radeon 8500 or greater; Intel 915/945/950/GMA 3000. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

As you can see windows 2000 is supported. In the purchase process, there was NO PLACE that mentioned a REQUIREMENT for EA Download manager to play the game until AFTER buying it, only to download it. It seems a little strange to sell a game that says it runs on Windows 2000 and turn around and require you to use a DOWNLOAD MANAGER that does NOT support windows 2000 wouldn’t you agree? Please advise as to what my options are, or perhaps I should contact some media about the lack of professional responses that I seem to be getting?
Response (Arun J.)
11/08/2008 10:53 AM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

We are sorry, but you cannot install and play the downloadable version of FIFA 08 on Windows 2000 as it down not support EADM which needs Windows XP.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let me know.

Abner
EA Online Support
Customer
11/08/2008 10:02 AM

As stated in my posting, Fifa 08 DOES advertise support for windows 2000. I do have the latest service pack offered by Microsoft and the latest video drivers from NVidia. Please advise as to how I can get Fifa 08 working in Windows 2000 as advertised on the EA website here: http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=80134400

Thanks
Response (Temjem O.)
11/07/2008 10:21 PM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Electronic Arts does not officially offer support for any of our products running on Windows 2000, unless otherwise stated on the game box. Windows 2000 is an operating system based on an operating system specifically designed for networking (Windows NT 4.0) and aimed at business as opposed to the average home user.

Many of our games that were designed for Windows 95/98 will not detect Windows 2000, as an optimized operating system, and therefore may not properly install.

Also, most of our games that use Microsoft’s DirectX may not function properly in Windows NT or Windows 2000. This is because DirectX was created as a Microsoft standard for running games in Windows 95 and 98. Even though DirectX is included with Windows 2000, it has been optimized for the Windows 2000 environment but may still have problems with some Windows 95 & 98 games.

Like in all Windows operating systems, to get any game to run in Windows 2000 you will need to make sure that you get the latest drivers for your hardware (video card, sound card, etc.) installed on your system. As well as all service packs available for Windows 2000.

Click here for instructions on updating drivers.

Click here for information on updates for Windows 2000.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Temjen
EA Online Support
Customer
11/06/2008 06:16 PM

Ok the problem was solved… looks like an elusive bug in Fifa 08. In Multiplayer LAN mode if you connect with others and some of the clients have the latest FIFA 08 patches (1,2 and 3) and some do not then multi-player will allow you to connect and start playing a match and at a random interval disconnect you and say the other player has disconnected. If you connect using Direct IP… sometimes it will tell you the other computer has a different version of Fifa than you. Unfortunately that message was NOT displayed in multiplayer LAN mode which is what most people would likely use for LAN play. The direct IP mode is mostly useless because the other user must connect to you within 15 seconds or your end will time out. IT is quite hard to synchronize one user setting up the server and another clicking connect within 15 seconds! Anyways, poblem #1 in my original question solved. Now on to problem #2:

I have one client that is running windows 2000 which is officially support by FIFA 08 (According to the purchase screen on eastore.com). Unfortunately I cannot play the installed fifa 08 on windows 2000 because the EA download manager does NOT install on windows 2000. What are my options?

Thanks
Response (Ashok N.)
11/05/2008 03:51 PM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Please ensure that all firewall, or internet security programs are properly configured for the game. You will want to configure them by adding the game to their allowed or exceptions lists. Disabling them usually does not work as they tend to have passive protection even when turned off, possibly blocking connections for certain applications only. If you need assistance with this, please contact the manufacturer of the firewall program.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let me know.

Andy
EA Online Support.
Customer
11/05/2008 03:44 PM

I have two copies of Fifa 08 installed on 6 computers. I have two problems at the moment.

Problem #1 is more important and I see MANY others having the same problem in MANY EA games on google and in your forums. I CONSTANTLY get “the connection with the other player has been lost” style messages. Here is my network info:

Running two players on a 1000 MB Local LAN with Netgear switch and DLink DI604 Router that assigns Static IP addresses to these computers. I am NOT using the internet for this, just local LAN. Only two computers seem to work in 2 player LAN mode, the SAME computers connecting to others always get disconnected at random internvals. We play Need for Speed Pro Street, and MANY other games just fine with no problems. Fifa appears to be the ONLY game giving us this problem. IS this a known defect in the software and if so is there a fix available? I am willing to give your EA engineers remote access into my network to investigate this further if required. I am a software engineer myself and have lots of network and software development experience, so I know a little about my network.

Problem #2: One compouter runs Windows 2000 which is supported by Fifa 08, but the EA Download manager WILL NOT install saying it only runs on XP! How can I run Fifa on my windows 2000 Box?

Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Reference #: 081108-001128
Subject: I have one client that is running windows 2000 which is officially support by…
Platform & Game: PC > FIFA > FIFA 08
Category: Technical > Install / Uninstall > Other
Date Created: 11/07/2008 06:30 PM
Last Updated: 11/08/2008 04:50 PM
I have one client that is running windows 2000 which is officially support by…
Response (Arun J.)
11/08/2008 04:50 PM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Your previous incident number 081105-016727 has already been escalated to our senior officials at EA Sports and they will contact you as soon as they can.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let me know.

Abner
EA Online Support
Customer
11/08/2008 11:59 AM

All the replies you are giving me are not making sense. Here are the system requirements from the ea website for Fifa 08:

OS – Windows 2000/XP/Vista*
Processor – 1.3 GHz or faster (Windows Vista requires a 1.5 GHz processor)
Memory – 256 MB RAM (Windows Visita requires 512 MB RAM)
Hard Drive – 3.92 GB
DVD Drive – 8 SPEED
Video Card – 64 MB**
Sound Card – DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX – Version 9.0c (included on disc)
LAN – TCP/IP Compliant; 2 Players
Online Multiplayer – 512 Kbps or faster; 2 Players
Single System Multiplayer – 2-8 Players
Input – Keyboard, Mouse or dual analogue gamepad

Response (Lavish A.)
11/08/2008 10:54 AM

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

The minimum requirements for EA Download Manager are listed under the product that you wish to purchase. To find the minimum requirements for the specific title you’re looking for, please follow these steps:

Click on the title you’re interested on the EA Store website. http://eastore.ea.com/
You will be brought to the title information page. Below the title there will be a tab labeled System Req. This is the system requirements for this specific title. You must meet these requirements in order to play the game.
Note: The minimum requirements may vary from title to title. Please check to make sure you meet these requirements before downloading.

Recommended System Requirements

Windows XP OS, Win64 OS or later with admin rights
Internet Explorer 6 or later with Javascript enabled
Broadband connection (cable, DSL, or faster)
Required free hard drive space depends on game download size (check product info page for details)
Note: EA Download Manager can run on Windows Vista, but not all games are certified for Vista compatibility.

Previous System Requirements

The following are minimum requirements for the previous version of EA Download Manager:

Windows XP with Admin rights
512MB RAM
1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D/Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/Sempron Processor
3 MB of hard drive space
DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (128 MB memory and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or ATI Radeon 8500 chip set)
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Broadband connection (cable, DSL, or faster)

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Kurt
EA Online Support
Customer
11/08/2008 09:59 AM

I don’t understand your reply? The dxdiag shows I have a 1.7 Ghz CPU and 1 GIG of RAM which exceeds the minimum system requirements for EA Download manager.
Response (Somorjit S.)
11/08/2008 03:51 AM

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Electronic Arts customer support.

We are sorry, but your system doesn’t meets the minimum system requirement to install EA Download manager. Since you have low Processor as well as RAM.
You can checked it by the given following listed:

* OS: Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 SP4, or Windows Vista
Note: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows NT 4.0 are not supported.
* CPU: 1.3 GHz Intel Pentium III (1.5 GHz for Windows Vista)
* RAM: 256 MB (512 MB for Windows Vista)
* 3.2 GB of free hard disk space
* DVD-ROM drive
* DirectX 9.0c-compatible 3D accelerated 64 MB video card or equivalent (Note: 16-bit color is not supported.)
o Officially supported video chipsets
* Input: MS-compatible mouse, keyboard, or gamepad
o Officially supported controllers
* DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (or higher)
* 512 Kbps or greater (broadband connection) for online gameplay

If there is anything else we may do to assist you please let us know.

Sam
EA Online Support
Customer
11/08/2008 01:22 AM

Here is the attached dxdiag.txt

Thanks
Response (Sumit A.)
11/08/2008 12:39 AM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

In order to research this issue further we will need information called dxdiag.exe.
To do this:

1) Go to Start -> Run.
2) In the box, type the following: dxdiag
3) Click ‘OK’
4) Click the ‘Save All Information’ button on the first screen of the application.
5) Then on top of the ‘Save As’ box that pops up, select Desktop (if it’s not set to save there already), then click Save.
6) Finally, attach the dxdiag.txt to your email reply.

Once I get the Dxdiag, I’ll take a look and let you know what to do from there.

Thanks

Sandy
EA Online Support
Customer
11/07/2008 06:30 PM

I have one client that is running windows 2000 which is officially support by FIFA 08 (According to the purchase screen on eastore.com – http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=80134400 it states: OS – Windows 2000/XP/Vista*). Unfortunately I cannot play the installed fifa 08 on windows 2000 because the EA download manager does NOT install on windows 2000. What are my options?

Thanks.

File Attachments

• DxDiag.txt

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==–

**Added February 2009:

Well unfortunately I can be stunned as much as I want but I did NOT get the CD! Indeed EA shipped the CD which arrived at a UPS depot in town, there was a $25 charge from UPS for “customs charges” from the US to Canada, so I immediately called EA to ask what I should do (and asked if they would pay the fee). They told me to refuse the package and they they would resend it another way so there would be no charge. That never happened and I was duped by the folks at EA. At this point I plan to avoid EA purchases for me and my family for good. I beleive I tried very hard to give them a chance to remedy a bad PR situation and they carelessly botched the whole situation. Yet another example of a large corporation with broken promises. My fault for thinking they would actually do what they said they would do!

Comments are closed.