What has Mark been up to?

I've completed a long process of upgrading my development platform and network. I bought my new hardware from www.ncix.com which is the place I have gone to for over 6 years. Great prices and excellent service. What did I learn this upgrade (I ususally update my system every 5 years)?

– Don't rely on built in testing in the BIOS (like memtest86). I had bad RAM (OCZ RAM) and had to RMA to get a good set. It was found via the freeware program prime95 using the torture test.

– WATCH OUT if you think you can easily update your KVM switch (keyboard mouse video switch for multiple computers). I updated my keyboard and mouse which now days seems like they only sell USB. This forced me to buy a new KVM switch because NO kvm switch seems to work with USB keyboards. YEs with a USB mouse… no with a USB keyboard. I got an IOGEAR GCS632U KVM and had problems initially because my new motherboard (from DFI) didn't provide enough voltage for stable operation. The only way to solve that was to purchase a PCI USB card and use a USB port from the card with the KVM. I tried a setting on the motherboard to up the voltage but had no change at all, thus I had to either ditcvh the motherboard or get the USB card.

– Experienced lots of DNS errors using the built in network connectors in the dfi motherboard and ultimately found out the retailer had installed ipv6 on the NIC's. Removing IPv6 solved that issue.

Ok now the REAL cheesy part. I moved my AOpen 56-SM software modem into the new system and suddenly callerid doesn't work. WHAT!!! I'm the author of a caller id application and now I can't even use my own app???? Well looks like the drivers from AOpen are so cheesy that there is no solution yet to the problem. CallerID info get to the modem but the driver flakes out and doesn't pass it through to windows. My windows modem log looks like:

01-16-2006 10:01:05.812 – Interpreted response: Ring
01-16-2006 10:01:05.828 – TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINE_NEWCALL
01-16-2006 10:01:05.828 – TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_OFFERING
01-16-2006 10:01:05.828 – TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINEDEVSTATE_RINGING(0x1)
01-16-2006 10:01:05.906 – TSP(0000): Enable Digit Monitoring
01-16-2006 10:01:07.125 – Recv:
01-16-2006 10:01:07.125 – Unknown Response
01-16-2006 10:01:07.125 – Recv: DATE = 0116TIME = 1000NMBR = 2507639079NAME = TOTL CARE SFTWR
01-16-2006 10:01:07.125 – Unknown Response
01-16-2006 10:01:11.625 – Recv: RING
01-16-2006 10:01:11.625 – Interpreted response: Ring

Notice the Unknown response from the modem driver!!!

NOW THATS CHEESY!!! Somehow the old driver worked FINE in win2k but that old driver DOES NOT INSTALL for XP. Until AOpen gets their act together (I posted in their support forums) I've added support for Soft-has CallerID to detect this scenario and snag the callerid info right out of the logfile… any it works.

THAT MY FRIENDS IS CHEESY!!! I feel disgusting having to write code to do such a thing, but hey… it works. So next release of CallerID will support bad TAPI drivers 🙂

And last but not least… In Canada we are one week away from a new government to be elected. I thought I'd let everyone know who I voted for. I voted many years ago… and it was my last vote… ever! I had placed my X on the name: Jesus Christ.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Heb 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
1Jo 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
2Jo 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Thats all for now.